Table of contents
The following is a list of Irish scientists whose work changed the world
profoundly. To find out more about them in Irish, please log onto www.science.ie
1) George Boole (1815-1846) This man developed an algebra for
logical operations which is fundamental to computer programming.
2) G. F. Fitzgerald. (1855-1901) A physicist whose 'Fitzgerald
Contraction' inspired Einstein.
3) William Rowan Hamilton (1805-1865). Hamilton's calculations
are still used in Quantum mechanical operations.
4) Katherine Lonsdale (1903-1971). She did ground-breaking molecular
research which helped medical research.
5) Ernest Walton (1903-1995). Split the atom, and won the Noble
Prize in 1951.
6) Jocelyn Kelly (1943 -). She was the first scientist to detect
a pulsar in space, thus proving Einstein's theory of general relativity.
7) George Stokes (1819-1903). His work on airflow is still a key
to an understanding of meteorology
8) Charles Parsons (1854-1931). Invented the steam turbine. (His
father built the great telescope at Birr).
9) Dennis Burkitt (1911-1993) This doctor was the first to prove
a link between viruses and cancer.
10) John Bell (1928-1990). His work on Quantum Physics is hotly
By Christy Evans.